Simple DIY: Trash Bags on a Roll



Each week I get a lot of organization questions. But one of the biggest challenges I hear questions about is small space organizing. And nothing gets smaller than the space under your kitchen sink. Why do we always want to pack everything away into this tiny space? No matter how big or how small your kitchen is, the space all of us have under our kitchen sink is pretty much the same.

Here's the kitchen in my new house…

Yup, it's tee-niny. I can't wait to demo the space next year. But in the meantime, I'm going to make the most of this cozy little space...

And especially the space under my kitchen sink…

** Pay no attention to the fact some of my cabinet doors don't close. That would be from re-painting the cabinets before move-in. 

Well, this week I decided to tackle the cabinet under my kitchen sink. Tomorrow you'll see the final result of my organization efforts. Today, I'm sharing a very easy DIY project that any of you can complete. Took me all of 60 minutes - maybe. This is one of those organization projects that will forever keep giving in return.

Most of us keep trash bag rolls under the kitchen sink. If you're a Costco or big box store shopper, you know how cumbersome those oversized rolls can be. I was struggling to keep my rolls together and within reach in this tiny space. So I decided to DIY myself a little trash bag organizer.

What you'll need for this project?…

Shopping list:

* (2) 3/4" Curtain Rod Holder (I bought mine at Home Depot - Home Decorators Collection. Located in the section where they sell blinds.) = $3.97 each

* 5/8 x 48" wooden dowel (Cut down to the size you want. Mine were cut to 17" each)  = $2.44

* Spray paint (This is optional!) = $3.87

Other tools needed:

* Saw (for cutting dowel)

* Hand sander

* Measuring tape

* Screwdriver

* Level

* Pencil

After cutting my dowel down to size, I sanded the ends to make them smooth. This will keep the wood from catching on your trash bag roll…



Then I gave my dowels a shot of white spray paint. This step is optional, but helps to make the dowel blend in...

While the dowels dried, I opened my curtain rod holders - otherwise known as a bracket set...


Then I measured where I wanted each of the brackets to be under the sink, marked my holes making sure it was level, and drilled a little hole...

Then, just screw the brackets into place with a screwdriver...

I used 2 sets because I wanted to hang both kitchen and oversized trash bags…

Now that the brackets are hanging, time to insert the dowels through the trash bag rolls…



Once that's done, all you have to do is place the dowel inside the brackets…


I placed each bracket set about 13" apart. I wanted a little overhang to ensure the dowels wouldn't bend. And they don't. This is super secure and so easy to grab a trash bag right from the roll. Even though this space is tight, you can see there is still plenty of room under the trash bag rolls…

For less then $15 you have organized trash bags on a roll! Love this!

Tomorrow I'll be sharing the full kitchen sink organization tour so make sure to come back!

Go DIY something and have a great day!


source : http://besimplyorganized.blogspot.com/2014/01/simple-diy-trash-bags-on-roll.html

0 commentaires:

Fourni par Blogger.